Safer journeys ahead on cessnock Road at Abermain
11 September 2021
Motorists and pedestrians will soon be enjoying safer journeys along Cessnock Road at Abermain, with work starting next week on improvements to the intersections at Orange and Charles streets.
Traffic flow on the route linking Cessnock and Kurri Kurri will also be improved thanks to a $3.7 million investment by the Australian and New South Wales governments through the joint Road Safety Program.
Assistant Minister for Road Safety and Freight Transport Scott Buchholz said road safety was a key priority for the Australian Government and this investment in road upgrades would provide a boost to the economy while ensuring motorists get home sooner and safer.
“Making our roads safer is a critical component of our work to reduce deaths and serious injuries on our roads and move towards achieving vision zero,” Mr Buchholz said.
“That’s why the Australian Government has committed $3 billion for the nationwide Road Safety Program,” Mr Buchholz said.
Senator for New South Wales Perin Davey said the Australian Government’s ongoing investment in road safety projects is keeping more Australians safe behind the wheel, reducing the number of tragedies on our roads.
“These upgrades are about delivering a better and safer drive for around 14,000 motorists, who travel along this section of Cessnock Road each day,” Senator Davey said.
“This is a great example of the Australian and New South Wales governments working together to improve safety on our regional roads.”
Parliamentary Secretary for the Hunter Taylor Martin said the project will support more than 90 jobs in the Hunter while work is carried out, providing a welcome boost to the local economy.
“Work will include installing traffic lights at the Orange Street intersection to improve safety for motorists and pedestrians,” Mr Martin said.
“We’re improving traffic flow in the area by building right turning lanes from Cessnock Road into Orange and Charles streets and extending the turning lanes on Charles Street. The project will also widen and resurface the road, and build concrete kerb and footpath.”
The Australian Government has so far committed $422.6 million for state-wide upgrades under the Road Safety Program, with the New South Wales Government providing a further $161.7 million.
Work on the Cessnock Road intersections will start on Sunday 12 September and will be carried out from 6.30pm to 4.30am from Sundays to Thursdays. The project is expected to be completed by April 2022, weather permitting.
A reduced speed limit, lane closures and stop/slow traffic arrangements will be in place during work hours for the safety of motorists and workers.
For the latest traffic updates download the Live Traffic NSW App, visit livetraffic.com or call 132 701.