Lt Oliver Hogue, and brothers Pte Vernon Harcourt Little and Pte Alfred Leonard Little

^ Back to start

Southern (left) pylon

Portrait of Lieutenant (later Major) Oliver Hogue, 2nd Light Horse Brigade, later of the 14th Light Horse Brigade, outside a dugout on Anzac Cove.

Lt Hogue of Sydney, NSW, worked as a journalist prior to his enlistment on 16 September 1914. He served through almost the entire Gallipoli campaign and later commanded the 14th Light Horse Regiment during the lightning campaign that cleared the Turks out of Palestine and Syria.

Under the pen-name of 'Trooper Bluegum', Lt Hogue chronicled his experiences and wrote three books: 'Love Letters of an Anzac', 'Trooper Bluegum at the Dardanelles' and 'The Cameliers'. Lt Hogue died of influenza in London on 3 March 1919. He is mentioned in despatches for his gallantry and devotion to duty.

Courtesy of the Australian War Memorial.

Northern (right) pylon

Brothers, Private (Pte) Vernon Harcourt Little, left, 2nd Battalion, of Newtown, NSW and older brother Pte Alfred Leonard Little, 20th Battalion, of Arncliffe, NSW.

Pte Vernon Little, a station hand prior to enlisting in January 1915, embarked from Sydney with the 4th Reinforcements onboard HMAT Argyllshire (A8) on 10 April 1915. He was wounded in action at Gallipoli, by a gun shot wound to the foot, in August 1915. In February 1916 he was transferred to the 54th Battalion and in May he was appointed Lance Corporal. His battalion arrived in France on 29 June 1916 and L/Cpl Little was reported missing in action 19-20 July. For some time it was believed that he was a prisoner of war in Germany. It was not until October 1917 that it was confirmed he had been killed in action on 19 July 1916 at Fleurbaix, France. He was 21 years of age.

His brother, Pte Alfred Little was a horse driver prior to enlisting in March 1915. He embarked from Sydney on board HMAT Berrima (A35 ) on 25 June 1915. Pte Little was at Gallipoli from July to September until he became ill and was transferred to hospital in Egypt. He returned to his unit in November 1915. The battalion arrived in France in March 1916 and Pte Little was wounded in action in July. In August he was admitted to hospital suffering from shell shock. He convalesced in England from September to March 1917 and was transferred to the 62nd Battalion as a Driver. Pte Little was returned to France, and the 20th Battalion, in October 1917. In April 1918, He suffered a gun shot wound to the face and was sent back to England. Pte Alfred Little was returned to Australia in July 1918.

Courtesy of the Australian War Memorial.

Share this page: