In conjunction with the National Trust, Engineers Australia, various local government Councils and historical groups, Roads and Maritime Services has produced self-guided tour brochures to assist community appreciation of a range of heritage significant items in NSW.
The self-guided tour brochures contain a map, directions and historical notes.
Brochures are available for the following routes and areas:
- Bridging the Hawkesbury River - Hornsby to Gosford
- Bridging the Murray River - Albury to Swan Hill regions
- Cobb & Co Country - Moama to Wilcannia Heritage Drive
- The Convict Trail - The Great North Road
- Crossing the Blue Mountains - The Great Western Road
- The Great South Road
- Historic Bridges of The Hunter Valley
- The Old Hume Highway – History begins with a road
- Parramatta... A Heritage of Roads and Transport
- Parramatta River Bridges - by RiverCat
- Southern Highlands Heritage Drives
- The Summerland Way – Richmond and Clarence Valleys (NSW) to Moreton Bay (Queensland)
Roads and Maritime worked with the Royal Australian Historical Society and many local historical societies to commemorate the completion of the Hume Highway duplication in 2013 with a detailed self-drive book History begins with a road that takes you off the modern dual carriageway to explore many old alignments where you can find lots of places to stop, recover and explore.
Find out more about the Hume Highway duplication project.