Access to government information
Access to government information and the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009.
The purpose of the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (GIPA Act) is to improve government transparency by increasing access to government information.
Roads and Maritime Services is committed to increasing the public availability of government information and providing up-to-date information about the government services that we provide.
The Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (GIPA Act) provides members of the public with a right of access to government information. The GIPA Act replaced the Freedom of Information Act 1989 (FOI).
Under the GIPA Act, each NSW Government department and agency is required to publish an Agency Information Guide.
The Information Guide provides an overview of:
- The agency’s structure and functions
- The way in which our functions affect members of the public
- How members of the public can participate in policy formulation and provide feedback
- The kinds of information we hold, and
- Information we make publicly available.
Applying for access to government information
Find out how to apply for access to government information under the GIPA Act.